Dec 20, 2008

Happy Holidays vs. Merry Christmas


So which is it...do you say "Happy Holidays" this time of year, or are you a bit more specific with wishing a "Merry Christmas"?

I remember heading home for the holidays last year and seeing my wonderful parents sporting pins that read: "It's okay to wish me a Merry Christmas."

Of course, I now know that those were not mere pins. They were military badges representing their chosen army of enlistment in the War on Christmas. Every year, both sides seem to ratchet up their efforts in the ongoing battle.

This year there have been ad campaigns, forbidden Nativity scenes, and dedicated websites. Really?

I love the mass emails that go out this time of year reminding us what the season is all about. Or better yet, the ones that re-tell the "history" of Christmas.

The way I understand Christmas is that consumerism stole it from Christians who stole it from Pagans. What a holiday. But who really owns the rights to Christmas? Who cares? I think the way you celebrate Christmas is fine and dandy.

But let's make a deal...you can wish me anything you want (Happy Holidays, Chrismukkah, Festivus, Kwanza, etc) and I won't get offended.

As long as I can wish you a Merry Christmas and you won't be offended. Deal?

2 comments:

J-Woo said...

Ooh, good points. I don't think Christians would be so hypocritically offended by the "Happy Holidays" trend if it didn't signify the next step in the movement called "Secularism" that we created ourselves just by adhering more to our anti-spiritual, materialistic American culture than to the call of Jesus, which is to deny ourselves and to store up treasures in heaven. Whoa, that was a long sentence that may not make sense.

I just think we Christians did this to ourselves and don't want to admit it. It's not the other religions' or even the atheists' fault. I say this because the people I know of other religions have no problem wishing me a merry Christmas. I have Muslim students at school who may not celebrate Christmas but also don't deny its significance to Christians or say "Happy Holidays" to water it down like some of us do. As a public school teacher I have to be very careful when speaking about religious topics, but when kids are open enough to wish me a merry Christmas, I will wish it right back for them.

But on the other hand, is saying Happy Holidays all that bad? Can't we acknowledge that for many people, there ARE other holidays? I can't pretend to know a stranger's religious views when I sit down at his/her table at a restaurant. Why not wish them happiness no matter what their beliefs? When Ramadan comes along next year, I will probably wish those students "Eid Mubarak"! Is that so bad? I don't think so. I'm confident enough in my Lord and my beliefs. And I don't think acknowledging the existence of other religions means that I am following them.

So that's my long-winded way of saying that, as long as it's sincerely coming from someone's heart, I don't really care which one people say to me and that I feel comfortable saying both... What's the big fuss about?

John in Orlando said...

Thanks for your novel of a comment. It looks like you were the one that should have written the post. Haha.

I'd say we're very much on the same page. I agree that we should be cognizant of other religious holidays this time of year.

In fact, my parents invite our Jewish friends back home over for Christmas each year. And they in turn invite my family over for many of their celebrations.

Much to some Christians dismay, our country wasn't founded on any single religion. And I'm actually proud of that.

What I was trying to get at is that I'm smack dead in the middle of the road on this one.

I have witnessed both Christians and Secularists using Christmas to push an agenda and I'm over it. It's a wonderful holiday. And I don't think anyone should let some silly semantics trip them up.

Merry Christmas Jess!
John