Dec 9, 2008

All I Want for Christmas is $1 Gas

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...at the gas pump at least.

Am I the only person scratching his head at the recent drop off in fuel prices? On July 7th of this year, the national average for a gallon of petro was $3.99/gallon.

I filled up last week for $1.69. (And rumor has it that the price per barrel of crude might drop below $30 in the next couple months, giving us sub dollar gas!)

The average American burns through 500 gallons of gasoline each year. That means you and I are saving over $1,000/year if this average holds for the next 12 months. (Somehow I doubt OPEC will allow that to happen.)

I'm no economist, but that sounds like a nice little stimulus package to every American that drives a car or buys groceries.

So CNN, please stop airing the iReports of people asking for their piece of the bailout. It's already here, sorta.

2 comments:

Amber said...

I remember paying $1.77 for gas in Chicago in about 2000. And I was so mad paying $1.77 b/c that was SOOO expensive, but I was in the city and out of gas.

I can't believe almost 9 years later, it's less expensive. Things just aren't ever 'less expensive' these days.

J-Woo said...

In my neck of the woods, we're paying about $1.43-$1.60ish. Crazy! Funny how it's not making any of the news... But I've heard on NPR that hybrid sales are already down since the drop in gas prices, which is so sad to me.