Apr 1, 2008

YouTube vs. GodTube

I'm over it already. I'm over it, and I've only seen a few of the videos hosted on the site. Have you heard of GodTube? Apparently its the premier, Christian video-driven social network where users find inspiration, interact, chat, share and upload Christian videos.

I stumbled upon the site awhile back, when a friend sent me a link to a wonderful music video entitled "Baby Got Book". I loved it...the video that is. However, you can watch the exact same video on YouTube if you'd prefer.

First off, what's so bad about YouTube? Why did some Christian feel as though they had to start their own version of the online video sharing site? Wouldn't it be better to share great Christian content on YouTube than to go off and start you own thing that only a select group of Christians watch anyway.

It's sort of like Christian music. I love bands like Switchfoot, The Fray, and others that decide to break out of the Christian sect of the music industry to reach a broader audience. In fact why not take a positive message like theirs to a larger, and decidedly less Christian, audience? Isn't that what we're really called to do as Christians?

I'm not saying Christian music is bad, I just think its great when talented artists branch out into the mass market. I realize that there are some that would call them sell outs...oh well. They're entitled to their opinions.

So back to GodTube. I'm not a fan. I'm not saying I hate the idea, I just think there's a better way to go about things. If you are a Christian and you disagree with select content on YouTube (and the entire internet for that reason) don't watch it! It's really that simple. No one's holding a gun to your head demanding that you watch girls dance in bikinis on YouTube.

Anyway, maybe I'm being a little too tough on whatever bright soul created GodTube.com. What say you?

No comments: