Feb 13, 2009

Thanks for the Memories

If you know me, you know that I'm obsessed with good music. There's something about the right lyric or soaring melody that can speak volumes to your circumstances at a given time. Often it's a relationship that's just beginning or maybe one that's on the rocks.

I remember back in high school when couple's would pick "their song" that somehow represented their love for one another. I always thought that was dumb for two reasons: 1.) It was extremely cheesy and 2.) I could never pick just one song.

For me, it's less about picking a single tune from the proverbial jukebox and more about a particular song/band representing a moment or a series of moments spent with someone. Here's a few that have memories attached. Some great, some bittersweet...nostalgic all.

WARNING: (Some) Sappy Love Songs Ahead...

"Ocean Avenue" - Yellowcard
"Such Great Heights" - Iron & Wine
"The Compromise" - The Format
"Hey Now" - Augustana
"Most Uncommon Thing" - Five Times August
"Flake" - Jack Johnson
"Thunder" - Boys Like Girls
"Be Still My Heart" - The Postal Service
"Sugar, We're Goin Down" - Fall Out Boy
"Meant to Live" - Switchfoot
"A Message" - Coldplay"
"Take Me Out" - Franz Ferdinand
"Oxford Comma" - Vampire Weekend
"Dark Blue" - Jack's Mannequin
"The Blower's Daughter" - Damien Rice
"Livin' in the Good Ol' Days" - Zane Williams
"Running Down a Dream" - Tom Petty

Here's to creating more memories in 2009 and having some great tunes to provide the soundtrack. I can already tell that The Fray's new album will accompany some of them in the near future. Right now I have "Where the Story Ends" stuck on repeat.

No comments: