Jun 20, 2008

It's A Google Life for Me (and you too)

As I've said before, I love me some Google. I've helped set up a few friends recently on iGoogle, Google Reader, etc. Some of you use Google to do everything but brush your teeth, and some of you use it to search for things online. The rest of you are somewhere in between in your Google relationship.

Just in case you're in the "search only" camp, I thought I would share a few tools you might enjoy. If you like Google for search, there's great news! Just as search helped organized the intricate world wide web, these services bring the web to you in a very personalized way.

Here are the 3 steps for revolutionizing your web experience (trust me, it's easy and you'll never look at the internet the same):

1. iGoogle - It's your own personalized home page that you can customize with widgets, templates, etc. No Google Account required.

2. Gmail - Once you've found your way around iGoogle, may I suggest upgrading from your old school web mail client (Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.) The way it organizes emails into conversation threads is something you don't know you need until you use it a few times.

3. Google Reader - Now that you are using iGoogle and easily switched over your Hotmail to Gmail, you're ready for that next step. Sign up for Google Reader, and enjoy the entire web served up on a RSS platter just for you. I use it to subscribe to close to 100 RSS feeds. Everything from friends' blogs to ESPN, Mac, and business news gets fed to my iGoogle in real time.

Along those lines, if you do have Google Reader, I just added an RSS feed to my blog. So now you can read it at JohninOrlando.com, on Facebook Notes, or in your RSS Reader of choice.

Keep on reading (all four of you, you know who are) and thank you to those of you adding your two cents and encouraging notes along the way. You rock!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this info, old friend! I may look into some of it. :)