Jun 28, 2008

I'm Not That Cool

I'm not that cool. Four words that I have been reminded of over the last week or so. I consider myself to be a pretty inclusive guy that has moved beyond the world of high school cliques and certain social behaviors. In fact, I've often made comments towards others that are well beyond their college years, but still struggling with trying to fit in and becoming comfortable in their own skin.

If someone were to ask me, I would say that the coolest people I know are those that set their own trends, march to their own beat, and have learned the fine art of just being themselves. These people are easy to point out, mostly because they are in short supply.

And now back to those four words: I'm not that cool. Over the last week or so, I have caught myself thinking that I was too (fill in the blank) to associate or befriend certain types of people. What would people think?

Then suddenly, something hit me...who cares!? I'm not that cool, that I am above talking to or associating with anyone. It doesn't mean I'll become best friends with every stranger I meet. But it does mean, I want to be open. Open to making friends with people from unexpected places, different backgrounds, and "unique" personalities.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

humility is the key and you've got it, man.

just staying grounded and humble in all things is a simple goal but it's too often overlooked.