Feb 17, 2008

2008: Year of Change

With the exception of a few, most New Year's Days come and go as I resolve not to declare a 365 day long resolution. This year was no different. In the weeks leading up to December 31st, I asked myself if there was one resounding thing I wanted to focus on this year.

I thought of my desire to becoming a better listener, to being more patient, to traveling more, or to reading God's Word on a more regular basis (...or to actually find my Bible for that matter.) I digress.

But as we entered 2008, one single word kept resonating in my mind: change. This year we will see change in the White House, the economy, possibly Iraq, and hopefully change in politics as usual. But beyond Washington, and on a more personal level, I hope to see change over the next 10 1/2 months. At work, with friends, and most importantly with myself.

Change can be a mixed bag of tricks. Some is good and some is bad, the only difference is how we choose to deal with it. Every day (slowly but surely) we are changing...for better or worse. Either we are heading towards a slightly better person than we were the day before, or slightly worse. It's our choice.

I for one am looking forward to 2008: Year of Change. There's sure to be good times and bad times, often beyond our control. But at the end of the day, how we deal with the ups and downs will determine what shoes we'll be wearing at the end of the year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I, too, vote for a Year of Change. Hence why I started my blog, as well. Hope you are well, John. =)

~Shelly B